(Source﹕ Received through Email; Translation: PhilCheung.com)
Eating these three vegetables can help in prevention of loosing your bone density. Women, once lower in bone density, osteoporosis will knock on their door. In addition to calcium supplement and drinking more milk, do you realize even vegetables are a good source for protection of bone loss?
Bone loose guardian 1: Onion
In the past we only know that onion has antiseptic effect and increase immunity. Recently a Swiss study found that postmenopausal women who consume onions often can effectively prevent loss of calcium in bones and prevent osteoporosis. "The Nature", an internationally renowned authoritative journal reported the latest research, noting that onion is best able to prevent bone loss.
* Keeps bone health; prevents calcium loss.
* Note: Onion has volatile sulfur compounds; excessive consumption of onion may cause flatulence.
* Purchase and storage advice: Choose a complete sphere, does not appear to have rotten, scars, or cracks.
* Save-keeping: Put unpeeled onions in a cool ventilated place; if the onion is cut, it should be refrigerated and used as soon as possible.
Bone loose guardian 2: Water bamboo shoots (see diagram below)
Many people choose to avoid eating the shoot, when they see black dots on the divination blocks of the water bamboo. In fact, these black specks in water bamboo shoots are exactly what are needed to prevent loose bones. These black dots, called "black ear fungus mushroom", is a kind of fungi that carries the positive effects for bone metabolism and delay aging of bone.
* Keeps bone health; slows down bone aging.
* Note: Water bamboo shoot is a "cool" kind of vegetable. Women before and after menstruation or physically weak patients should not eat them. Moreover, the shoot also has extensive oxalate. Patients of kidney disease or urinary tract calculi should avoid.
* Purchase and save-keeping: Choose shoots that are fresh and juicy, the body is straight, skin is smooth. If the body is thin, flattens, or curved, its taste is poor. In addition, the top part is green or the base portion is not as white, it indicates shoots have over grown and quality is poor. * Storage: if not ready for cooking, do not peel the outer shells. Wrap with paper and then put inside plastic bag before storing in the refrigerator. Good for about 4 days.* Keeps bone health; slows down bone aging.
* Storage: if not ready for cooking, do not peel the outer shells. Wrap with paper and then put inside plastic bag before storing in the refrigerator. Good for about 4 days.
Bone loose guardian 3: Cabbage, a.k.a. Korean cabbage, (see diagram below)
Because the nutritional value of cabbage is similar to that of Korean ginseng, its name is given. Cabbage is rich in vitamin K and is effective in anti-bone loss. In addition to calcium, bone health also needs a variety of nutrients to help bones metabolism, vitamin K is one of them. Vitamin K can help calcium in absorption of vitamin D, which is an essential nutrient in prevention of osteoporosis.
Prevention of osteoporosis